On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 1:23 AM, Lorenzo Donati
<lorenzodonatibz@interfree.it> wrote:

> (...)
> Probably many recurring topics on this lists could be avoided
> if there were a sort of "Rationale FAQ", explaining *why* (*not* how)
> something is the way it is, maybe with a nice introductory essay on
> the general philosophy of Lua (I mean, more extended than the
> introductions in the refman or PiL - more focused on a Lua
> newbie's perspective).

I found the following paper provides a great perspective about the
"philosophy of Lua" and main language design options:

"The evolution of Lua", R. Ierusalimschy, L. H. de Figueiredo, W.
Celes (ACM HOPL III, 2007)
http://www.lua.org/doc/hopl.pdf

HTH

Phil