On Thu-2011/09/22-00:00 Petite Abeille wrote:
in gmane.comp.lang.lua.general
(MID <362DE222-5293-4DCE-A3A6-2B88F9AB9254@gmail.com>):

> On Sep 21, 2011, at 12:38 AM, clemens fischer wrote:
>
>> According to RFC-5322 a "Message-ID" contains the string including
>> the angle brackets.
>
> Hmmm... somewhere near the end of "3.6.4.  Identification Fields":
>
> "Semantically, the angle bracket characters are not part of the
> msg-id; the msg-id is what is contained between the two angle bracket
> characters."

I think the emphasis is on "Semantically".  I take this to mean that the
part before the "@" and the part after it combined must be unique.  The
brackets are useless for this purpose.

This doesn't have to concern us regarding the purpose of a Message-ID in
emails, but we'd have to agree for the purpose of hashing them.

> Also... RFC 5256 (aka IMAP SORT and THREAD Extensions) mention the
> following:

>            For example, the msg-id
>               <"01KF8JCEOCBS0045PS"@xxx.yyy.com>
>            and the msg-id
>               <01KF8JCEOCBS0045PS@xxx.yyy.com>
>            MUST be interpreted as being the same Message ID.

This is more important, because some user agents might use quotes in the
"References:" or "In-Reply-To:" headers, others might not, so
normalizing is mandatory.

clemens