On 23/08/2011 22.51, Patrick Donnelly wrote:
On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 4:33 PM, David Kastrup<dak@gnu.org>  wrote:
Of course not.  If I release a bullet into the public domain, this does
not automatically release me from any liability associated with its
impact, either.  Not even if I did not do so with malice but merely
carelessness.

That's a ridiculous analogy. We're talking about intellectual property
and public domain in that context.

I'm not so sure it's so ridiculous. The hyperbole is evident, of course, but substitute "bullet" with, say, "viral code who can infect flight control towers in airports causing massive damage".

I suspect that in some jurisdictions not even a GPL-like disclaimer would be enough to release the creator from all the responsibilities.

-- Lorenzo