On 19/08/2011 05:07, Alessandro Delgado wrote:
Sorry, but the rules for English pronunciation that I learned are that a
vowel makes a long sound when followed, either immediately or one letter
later, by another vowel. Otherwise it's a short sound. Like in
"otherwise".  Ostritch, oscillate, and others follow the same pattern.

Sorry, but the rules for English pronunciation that I learned are such that "ghoti" is pronunced /fɪʃ/ ;-)

Surely those are not so much rules of English pronunciation as the eccentric regular irregularities of English spelling (which explain why there are hardly any reliable rules of pronunciation). To my ear 'ophal' definitely sounds like 'offal'. With some accents, it could even sound a bit like 'awful'.