Kein-Hong,

> But if you are thinking to have some claim over any kind of
> _mechanism_, then I think there are going to be *big* issues...
>
> > [snip]
> > Now having a strong GPL background, i would not license my work under
> > MIT/X11 and wonder, if this would be considered a violation of habits,
> > thus making a publication partically useless. Could anyone please tell me
> > if there's a common position here on this matter.
>
> Discussing mechanisms and talking about code with GPL? That's an
> even bigger problem, a 30-ton brontosaurus.
>
> Of course I have uses for GPL too, but I have huge reservations
> about what you are doing.

To make myself clear here, it is not about extensions of the Lua core,
but about user's side material.

As I put a different load onto Lua, I necessarily touch Lua's expressive limits,
but i do take the purity of the language very serious. I won't even consider
the project, if it were not so. Thus i might stumble over limits and extensions,
that would make life easier in this cases, along the way, but the package would
do without any.

If i would think extending the machinery would be truly necessary, i would
release a patch under MIT, this is clear. The problem i sense is the other way
round, i.e. a possible tendency on user space contributions being only or
preferable accepted only under Lua's license itself by a community otherwise
interested into bringing Lua forward. That's my concern and my question.

>Marc Balmer <marc@msys.ch>  (micro systems)

>I would never even look at your code if it is GPL licensed.  I strongly
>suggest you reconsider your decision.  There are many reason why Lua is
>used in embedded and commercial products, and the license is one reason.

If a company wants only free parts, i don't care. They can hardly be considered
professional entities IMO if they try to do business only on one side, though I
hear such funny customer's dreams on a daily basis.

-lars