On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 00:36, Axel Kittenberger <axkibe@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Except it forces indentation and structure in cases where it's not
>> entirely necessary. I like being able to write:
>> if x then doThings(x) else doThings(y) end
>> instead of:
>> if x then
>>    doThings(x)
>> else
>>    doThings(y)
>
> Did you actually work with any significant whitespace language? E.g.
> in python both work very well. You can always write all things in one
> line if you want to.
>
> What you just cannot do is:
>
>  if x then
> doThings(x)
>          else
> doThings(y)

I did work with Python a bit a while back. Perhaps I just forgot it
accepted that...

On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 03:39, Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> wrote:

>>> Indeed, those features are perfect for trivially tiny example
>>> programs ... :]
>>
>> Actually, trivially tiny example programs are the only place that
>> unindented code makes sense.
>
> Sure, but my point has nothing to do with "unindented code" though.
> My point is that using explicit delimiters _as well_ as good
> indentation helps readability in real code.  Indentation is obviously
> important, but it's really not sufficient.  Some redundancy is _good_.
>
> [I do think it's nice to have a way of avoiding end-delimiters for
> "very short" blocks -- one-liners and the like]
>
> -Miles
>
> --
> Accordion, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin.

Perhaps this is a better job for a tool that simply analyzes your code
for stylistic things like indentation and sane variable names. I'm
pretty sure that process is called linting, but it's too late at night
to trust my brain. :)

--
Sent from my toaster.