John: thanks for answering.

I should clarify what version of Lua I'm using.

I'm running Vista, and I actually did not build anything Lua-related
myself. I just downloaded Lua_V5.1.4-45.exe from
http://code.google.com/p/luaforwindows/.

This comes with binaries (lua.exe and wlua.exe) and also registers the
extensions .lua (to lua.exe) and .wlua (to wlua.exe).

It also comes with wx, but with that problem I mentioned.

Is Lua for Windows maintained by someone else and I should inquire
over there? I don't know about that... I'm new to Lua :)

Best,
Stefan