On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 4:20 PM, Stefan Reich
<stefan.reich.maker.of.eye@googlemail.com> wrote:
> The trick seems to be in the file extension. If you call your script
> something.lua and run it by doubleclick, it will crash (on the first
> mouse hover event). If you call the script something.wlua (with a w),
> it runs fine.

This is completely dependent on your OS's default action to take for
the two different file extensions. What exactly is being run for each?

> Alternatively, if you invoke the interpreter explicitly, it depends on
> whether you run lua.exe or wlua.exe.

What is wlua.exe? Where did you get them from or how did you build them?

> I'm not sure why lua.exe pretends to be wx-capable... but then it's
> actually not and it just crashes. Shouldn't that be changed? Either
> reject wx apps right away... or make them run properly I'd say.

A generic build of lua.exe is capable of running wxLua scripts if you
have wxLua's wx.dll in the path for require() to find.

> I'd suggest this be improved in the next version... it would
> definitely help newbies and, well, lua.exe crashing is a pretty ugly
> sight. Don't you agree?

There is nothing for anybody else to do, you simply do not have either
a valid or complete build of lua.exe or wxLua.

>> the same dll file, and the same script, but my wxlua program crashes when the mouse hover on the *any* window that shows on screen :-(.
>>
>> but the script acts great on other guys computer.
>>
>> hope anybody knows how this happened...  I use Windows XP and Lua For WIndows 5.1..

I recommend to you, as I probably did to the earlier poster, that you
try using wxLua from http://wxlua.sf.net

Regards,
    John