On 3/20/11 2:18 PM, Alexander Gladysh wrote:
On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 12:45, Alexander Gladysh <agladysh@gmail.com> wrote:
1. Any programmer in my team who would write such... code without
getting an explicit permission would be fired.
I have to clarify: code that goes in production commercial system, not
some experimental or personal stuff, of course :-)

Alexander.

Of course!

As always, if somebody tries to force it upon you, just say no. It will be the right thing to do and will relax your mind and soul!

But I am growing a tad bit concerned about the ratio of time you might have spent actually looking at Fleece, as opposed to writing about it?

If you feel it's not worth much of your time - then maybe withhold judgment?

I found a great way to explain your demand to my girl friend at the break fast table. I am having a bit of a hard time getting over your gun threat metaphor to be honest, so that came up. We were discussing how Eva Mendes has so much more sex than Salma Hayek and how great it would have been if Salma would have stuck her toe into Clooneys mouth in Dusk to Dawn. So it's like:

Fleece is your nitro system and you are complaining that it's not having a fuel nozzle that fits the standard filler neck.

It just doesn't make sense. It is not an inadvertent mistake, but by design, that nitro, or Fleece, must be attached closer to the engine. Because with a fuel nozzle, sure, in theory you'd have a nitro tank you could conveniently re-use with any car model. It would also be useless. Because, yes, you could fill nitro right into the tank by any means. But you defeat the goal of focused performance.** And it would really look stupid. (Salma's toe does not play a role in the metaphor and is not associated with the fuel nozzle. The connection is merely that  Eva played in 2F2F.)

For all else, you have not actually explained why you find Fleece so surprisingly offensive, nor why you would fire people for using it (your next scare metaphor). Or why you maintain that it is somehow 'unprofessional' to use something like it.

I am happy to receive usable, even destructive feedback. But what policy is this?

Some investment to disclose? The pureness of Lua? But claiming the professional high ground? Give me a break. There are thinking beings around. I am seeing you contributed command line tools for converting Lua to JSON and vice versa. I appreciate that this is the other end of employing converters for manual tasks. I wouldn't dream of criticizing their performance.

I am off looking into Fleece for JIT. If somebody has an actual benchmark to beat, please let me know.

Henning

* as with all metaphors, there are limits to this metaphor. You may however consider a parallel between time-wise control (nitro button) and efficiency control (cycle and memory consumption), as the essence of the performance goal.