> I wondered why your new friend lua could not also do it.

Sure it can for you, but on a global "can lua replace awk", I'll say
no. First awk is a quasi-standard, that is you can always asume it be
installed on any *nix machine, not so lua, and lua never tried to fill
that role to be in any means standard in anything. Second when its
about writing one-(or few)-liners to transforming ascii streams, I'd
rather suggest good old perl. I find it ugly for big projects, but for
this one liners its IMHO much better suited.