On 3 March 2011 19:07, Jayanth Acharya <jayachar88@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 10:47 PM, steve donovan
> <steve.j.donovan@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 7:08 PM, Jayanth Acharya <jayachar88@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> and install those manually, one-by-one ? Isn't there a simpler way ?
>>
>> Actually, there's a lot already in the Debian/Ubuntu repos, e.g. if
>> you search for liblua5.1* you will get stuff like:

>> i A liblua5.1-socket2              - TCP/UDP socket library for Lua 5.1
>> p   liblua5.1-sql-doc              - luasql documentation
>> p   liblua5.1-sql-mysql-2          - luasql library for the Lua language vers
>> p   liblua5.1-sql-mysql-dev        - luasql development files for the Lua lan
>
> Thanks.
>
> Okay... but is there anything like a "golden package of rocks" /
> "extensions" -- something that most developers use, i.e. most
> developers use for the common purpose (e.g. parsing XML, templating,
> bit-operations etc.). Going through the rocks catalog for instance, I
> found that there are several of those, for same purpose, so how do I
> pick & choose. Do I stick to the ones supplied by Ubuntu repos, or go
> beyond, and if I do -- which ones ??

You're the developer, you get to choose - using whatever critera you want.

For any particular purpose, you can research the libraries available -
choose the one with the APIs or functionality that fits your project
best. Alternatively there are clear advantages by sticking with
whatever is already packaged for Debian/Ubuntu, as it saves a lot of
packaging headaches.

If you have a more concrete question about the differences between two
specific libraries, this list is probably a good source of knowledge.

Regards,
Matthew