On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 3:52 PM, RJP Computing <rjpcomputing@gmail.com> wrote:
>   * Should Lua and LuaJIT v2.x be included?

It's a bit of a bugger to mix two different kinds of Lua on Windows,
since extensions bind to a particularly named DLL. I think LuaJIT is
mature enough to be the main engine...

>   * Is LuaDist still alive and active?

Last time I tried it on Windows, it failed in a fairly weird way.
Maybe it's time to go down that rabbit hole again.

One way to approach this is to look at the candidate modules and see
if they can't all be persuaded to be rocks (something like WxLua may
be a challenge)

>   * Can this be made to be cross-platform? (I hope so, that is a personal
> goal)

That's the cool/interesting angle - pick a core set of modules which
work fine across the board. I know that you have been pushing for
wxLua and it certainly is the most mature cross-platform kit we have
at the moment.  IUP should also be there as well.

I know many will say 'but I need luaposix to do anything!' and yes,
it's useful, but we're looking for something that provides equivalent
functionality on most platforms. Most of the concepts map over (with
some notable exceptions like fork()), there are even symbolic links on
Windows these days. Lua-ex was an ambitious attempt, but it does whack
the standard namespaces too much.

steve d.

(who will try to use Windows more often for a while)