On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 10:48:59PM +0000, Reuben Thomas wrote:
> On 26 February 2011 22:44, Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> wrote:
> > Reuben Thomas <rrt@sc3d.org> writes:
> >> And pkg-config isn't POSIX, whereas Zile's build system is.
> >
> > Lua isn't POSIX either...  :)
>
> On the contrary, Lua works fine on any POSIX system, though some
> system-dependent libraries (loadlib, thread) won't have full
> functionality. So it can take advantage of some system-specific
> features, but it doesn't require them; the core is famously C89 only.

A similar argument can be applied to pkg-config which admittedly needs libpopt
and libglib, both of which can be built on a POSIX system.  It seems rather
silly to say "No, I won't take advantage of something a huge number of
installed systems already have, because it isn't directly POSIX" especially
when, as Miles explaned, you can go "Try with pkg-config, oh noes, no
pkg-config -> try without"

D.

--
Daniel Silverstone                         http://www.digital-scurf.org/
PGP mail accepted and encouraged.            Key Id: 3CCE BABE 206C 3B69