On 26 February 2011 22:44, Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> wrote:
> Reuben Thomas <rrt@sc3d.org> writes:
>> And pkg-config isn't POSIX, whereas Zile's build system is.
>
> Lua isn't POSIX either...  :)

On the contrary, Lua works fine on any POSIX system, though some
system-dependent libraries (loadlib, thread) won't have full
functionality. So it can take advantage of some system-specific
features, but it doesn't require them; the core is famously C89 only.

But this is not really the point. I am using Lua to write a POSIX
program to POSIX API. This is safe, since I know that Lua can be built
on any POSIX system. Similarly, it is reasonable to write POSIX
programs in C, since C is required by POSIX, so I know that every
POSIX system will have a C compiler even though no C compiler is fully
POSIX (by definition, since POSIX says nothing about generating
machine code).

--
http://rrt.sc3d.org