On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 1:33 PM, Sebastien Lai <237482@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 5:28 PM, Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Wednesday 23 February 2011 11:07:52 Regular Joe wrote:
>> > On a second though I suppose so, but renaming would be trivial, if
>> > really
>> > and absolutely necessary.... Don't get me wrong, I really like the
>> > Keplerproject, but CGILua is really much more like the wsgi module for
>> > Python, than a 'real' CGI Interface.
>>
>> Absolutely necessary is a relative thing. I doubt you'll be sued for a
>> trademark violation, but as far as the goodwill of the community, let me
>> tell
>> you a story.
>>
>> I created, announced and made available on the web a free software project
>> called VimOutliner. A few weeks later, a guy who had corresponded with me
>> after seeing VimOutliner created, announced and made available a similar
>> software called (drum roll please) "The Vim Outliner".
>>
>> That was almost ten years ago, and to this day people are still confusing
>> the
>> two. Instead of comparing and contrasting the two softwares, to this day
>> bloggers are *confusing* the two.
>>
>> I was not amused. Neither were the other VimOutliner developers and users.
>>
>> So if you'd prefer that ten years from now someone isn't writing something
>> similar about you, you might want to change your software's name so it
>> doesn't
>> cause confusion.
>>

> I see what you mean, but again, the CGILua module from the Kepler Project is
> much more like the wsgi module from Python, than an actual CGI Interface.
> Technically speaking, KP would be the one who should change the name, as
> it's just plainly misleading... then again, they came first.
> But i'm open for name recommendations!

Lai,

Name collisions work against productivity because they diminish the
searchability of both name-bearers.

I think -- the only reason being that CGILua was here first -- it
would be nice of you to rename your project.

On a rare moment of poetical inspiration of mine, may I suggest
something involving "atmosphere"? It just struck me as the only Common
Gateway between Earth and Lua ;-)

att.

--ad.ad