On 06/02/2011 21:43, Mike McGonagle wrote:
I was hoping that there might be some precompiled binaries out there
for Windows XP that could be used to learn Lua.

See http://luabinaries.sourceforge.net/
A bit "raw", ie. you only have pure Lua, no fancy stuff like graphics or sockets, but you can add them later.

I have a 13 year old
kid who I would like to teach Lua. I looked at the Lua for Windows
project, but it appears to be for Windows 2000, and I am not quite
sure what compatibility issues there are with that and XP (I am a
Linux/Mac OS X programmer).

For the record, I (re)discovered last week the Auto Play Media Studio 8 (what a mouthful!), which used to be a paid software but is now free for personal use (even if you distribute is as closed source, as long as it is freeware).
http://www.autoplay.org/
It can be programmed in Lua 5.1, which is why I mention it here.

Disclaimer: I haven't tried it yet...
It is big (48MB for the install file), for Windows only, and somebody mentioned it generates big standalone exes (around 8MB): they don't seem to manage dependencies. (To be confirmed...)

It might be interesting as being a Windows GUI application, more familiar to a Windows user than something using a simple editor and the command line... :-)

Otherwise, game frameworks mentioned by Michal (there are others, IIRC) are a good, more lightweight alternative. Something like Visual Studio vs. GCC, choose your tools! ;-)

--
Philippe Lhoste
--  (near) Paris -- France