If he plays World of Warcraft, experimenting with the interface is a
great way to learn Lua. Apart from Lua itself there are opportunities
to learn about frames with inheritance, registering for callbacks,
graphics widgets and all kinds of other stuff. The documentation is
much better these days (thanks to Jim Whitehead et al) and the C side
is inaccessible.

Vaughan