On 24/01/2011 08:14, Axel Kittenberger wrote:
I oppose this idea. I dont see the benefit, this reminds me of all the
www-forums where people create a lot of drawers where every bit of
comminication must be sorted in and then usually 25% of all messages
contain "gah! wrong forum dude!". If you are busy I dont see how
reading help only is less of a timeburden than help and debate. Just
get an email client that sort threads and do not look into the
debatish threads. The linux kernel is a much bigger project that also
well along with one main email list only.

I agree, actually.
I dislike seeing messages "I fork this discussion to Scala-Debate", and it needlessly (IMHO) multiply subscriptions. Somehow, filtering should be done at user level, with proper tools.

I also agree with mixing newbies and experienced users (Scala made two distinct lists...).
I learned a lot on computer programming in general, and Lua in particular, in this mailing list. And I appreciate being able to provide an occasional help.

I manage (among others) the Processing forum (about processing.org) and I am not sure if it was a good idea to separate sections like Core libraries, Contributed libraries, Integration, etc. as half people just post in the Programming questions section! The idea was that people making contributed libraries might just watch the appropriate section, for example, but still it makes some work to move questions to the appropriate section (not to mention transverse questions).

I suppose there is no perfect solution, anyway.

--
Philippe Lhoste
--  (near) Paris -- France