On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 12:59 PM, Roberto Ierusalimschy
<roberto@inf.puc-rio.br> wrote:
>> The question behind the stdlib pleas is, could some of the Lua.org's
>> legitimity be rubbed off to a team of volunteers? I haven't seen any clear
>> response from the team about this, but the Linus answer ("show me the code
>> first", and here, "show me your ability to organize and to settle
>> disagreements") would seem appropriate to me.
>
> We went through this several times. Do you really think the problem
> is "legitimity"? What kind of response whould you expect from us?

There does seem to be some confusion between intrinsic authority and
derived authority here. The argument for intrinsic authority is
obviously sound enough. The argument for derived authority, less
obviously so.

The Kepler project is a good example of the kind of effort that is
possible in the Lua community. It's the sort of project that supports
a results-oriented culture. The cookbook project is coming along the
same lines and we also have LuaForge - past and future.

Derived authority is still an important part of many individual's
frame of reference, but I'll never understand it well enough to offer
any constructive advice. ;)

Chris
--
51st century guy