> Have a look at http://lua-users.org/wiki/LibrariesAndBindings

Hmm.

I think I get it now.  Lua really is an 'embedded' language.

I find it hard to believe that people are rolling their own ad hoc
functionality on the fly, but that is the way it is.  I had wondered
how the node.js kids were going to address things like POSIX etc:

http://www.commonjs.org/

is how.  It's a good idea to have standard libs of some kind, just in
case one inherits a project.  I remember, usually in the wee hours of
the morning  a scream, how it was like years ago with PHP.  Lots of
great code, all different etc.  Every deployment was an adventure!

I was younger then.

Well, I guess it's time to start porting!