On 12/29/2010 1:52 PM, Ivan Baggett wrote:
On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 10:40 PM, KHMan wrote:
On 12/29/2010 11:36 AM, Javier Guerra Giraldez wrote:

it turns out that PIC32 is a low-end MIPS core with a boatload of
PIC-style on-chip peripherals and no PIC core anywhere.

still, it doesn't have any external bus interface (no, GPIO pins
doesn't count. i've done that on smaller PICs, but it makes external
memory look like storage devices, not RAM); so any port would be
limited to what inner memory can hold.

[snip]

Yes, that's what I like about - no external address bus.  Reduced circuit
complexity, lower cost, higher reliability, and fewer part sourcing
issues.  Way back in old times, a decent BASIC interpreter could run in
64K of RAM + ROM.  I don't want to program in BASIC, but a language that
calls itself small and embeddable (i.e. Lua) should really be that.  There
are folks who are running Lua (or eLua) on single-chip ARM systems.  PIC32
with it's MIPS architecture should be just as capable as that.  What's the
hold-up?

Cheap handphones overflowing in abundance. :-)

Takes a lot of effort to build and maintain stuff "close to the metal", and such enthusiasts have to balance cost (of ready-to-use boards) versus effort (DIY boards and soldering SMDs).

The population of those who can build software on Android and co. is huge and the population of those who are fiddling with say one chip TQFPs is rather small. It's very much easier to tackle the former...

Have to be patient, I guess.

I think it's good this is brought up now and then. Keep a bit of awareness going and one day someone may pop up with a working port... The PIC32 has gcc and people have already ported MP3 libraries with little fuss I hear. Only a matter of time.

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)