If you have even a slight interest in hardware + Lua and if you have not been to the eLua mailing list I would highly recommend you do, they are a great bunch of people. It my favourite mailing list(this one is second :) ).

It's my understanding that Lua has been used in Olivetti printers, Logitec keyboards, Lego Mindstorms NXT toys and various mobile devices such as the Android and Iphone.

I am assuming that many of these devices do not use microcontrollers but "free standing" CPUs and peripherals.

I am wondering if anyone knows of any open hardware designs that use Lua or of any other hardware oriented resources that they would to share-Patrick