On 12/29/2010 7:54 AM, Patrick Mc(avery wrote:
[snip]
It's my understanding that Lua has been used in Olivetti printers,
Logitec keyboards, Lego Mindstorms NXT toys and various mobile
devices such as the Android and Iphone.

I am assuming that many of these devices do not use
microcontrollers but "free standing" CPUs and peripherals.

Mostly SoC -- System-on-Chip. Highly integrated chips, so SoC is a better label that works when it's impossible to tag them as pure "microcontrollers" or pure "CPUs". Doesn't really matter as long as it's 32 bits and there is a fair bit of RAM.

Many examples have been mentioned in the past I think, though I don't recall whether there is a web page listing such things... Many ARMs and MIPS are <USD5 per piece these days... heaven for hardware hobbyists.

Stuff like Android and iPhones are complete OS platforms, and we can develop for them much like for normal PCs, so they should be lumped in one bin and the more "traditional microcontroller appliances" that is closer to the metal in another bin.

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)