On 12/15/2010 1:49 AM, Gaspard Bucher wrote:

> You haven't considered "dub" (http://rubyk.org/en/project311.html).

Because it's not listed on the wiki [1]. Anyone can edit the Wiki; it
certainly deserves a link there with a relevant description.

> The idea behind "dub" is that it parses Doxygen xml output and then it
> can resolve templates and other typedefs. You can precisely control
> the code that is generated by writing simple ERB templates...

Interesting. The template seems to have a block for a destructor no
matter what; can it support classes that Lua never destroys? I'd like to
be able to eliminate the destructor code from any classes that are
supposed to be held in shared_ptrs, so that I know that Lua isn't EVER
going to destroy them outside of the shared_ptrs.

> The tool is pretty new and requires optimization for very large source
> trees but I managed to build the bindings for OpenCV with it and I am
> using it all over in Rubyk.

It also seems pretty light on documentation. As in I couldn't find any
- -- not even a very basic "how to use it".

I like the core idea; Doxygen is going to be a much better parser to use
than any smaller project would likely be able to generate.

Also, I used to be a big fan of Ruby, and I can at least edit Ruby files
without shooting myself in the foot (ahem, Python), but I'm still
disappointed that the code isn't written in Lua; I understand why you'd
use Ruby for it, but it adds another bit of complexity to a project
(Doxygen + Ruby + Lua + C++ + Makefiles + Rakefiles -- plus Java in my
case, since I'm on Android).

Tim

[1] http://lua-users.org/wiki/BindingCodeToLua