On 12/5/2010 9:57 PM, liam mail wrote:
On 5 December 2010 13:20, Roberto Ierusalimschy wrote:
     > >..., the speed improvement does not seem anything to shout
    about.

     > After reviewing the GDC slides about Lua's use on the Xbox
    360 [1]
     > it should be noted that a direct port of Lua is 10x slower
    on the
     > platform.

    That is not exaclty what it says:

    "* Code ported to PS3 or 360 CPU may surprise
        - and not in a good way

    " 360 naive port can be 10x slower than Windows
        - Lua tasks can be in that range"

    So, any code "can be" 10x slower, and Lua "can be" in that
    range. And
    that 10x is compared to Windows, not compared to a different
    port for
    that platform.

It appears to compare apples and oranges. PS3/360 cores are limited to in-order execution -- and they are soon becoming 10-year-old designs. While the developers' Windows machines are probably pretty powerful, since quad cores are very cheapo now. GIGO.

[snip]
I stand corrected then and I am sorry for any confusion.
Unfortunately I was not at GDC (unlike yourself) and was also not
able to find the audio at the GDC vault but that ball park figure
has also been mentioned to me by another 360 developer.

Now, if someone on the list can provide intelligent comparison data -- actual data, real actual data, I emphasize -- then maybe we can slay such myths, if it is one.

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)