On 5 December 2010 13:20, Roberto Ierusalimschy <roberto@inf.puc-rio.br> wrote:
> >..., the speed improvement does not seem anything to shout about.
>
> After reviewing the GDC slides about Lua's use on the Xbox 360 [1]
> it should be noted that a direct port of Lua is 10x slower on the
> platform.

That is not exaclty what it says:

 "* Code ported to PS3 or 360 CPU may surprise
   - and not in a good way

 " 360 naive port can be 10x slower than Windows
   - Lua tasks can be in that range"

So, any code "can be" 10x slower, and Lua "can be" in that range. And
that 10x is compared to Windows, not compared to a different port for
that platform.

Certainly, as it concludes, "there are gains to be found" when porting
Lua for the Xbox (or any other particular platform); Lua pays a price
for its portability. But the talk did not report any speedup at all; it
only speculates where it can get improvements.

-- Roberto

I stand corrected then and I am sorry for any confusion.
Unfortunately I was not at GDC (unlike yourself) and was also not able to find the audio at the GDC vault but that ball park figure has also been mentioned to me by another 360 developer.

Liam