I can confirm that clock-for-clock Lua runs slower on the Xbox360 and PS3. It's not as easy as you might think to get a realistic sample of Lua-only execution as we go in and out of C a bit. However my impression is that overall a factor of 2-4 may be fair. The costs I am seeing are due to L2 cache misses (from much smaller caches), branch misprediction and (to a lesser degree) load-hit-stores.

I have tried redoing the table implementation according to the Microsoft slides with rather meager gains (but with some nice memory savings). I haven't tried the other suggestions.

/ Tom