On 15 September 2010 11:35, David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> wrote:
> Huh?  What makes you think that?  Aren't you confusing "\n" with ";"?

If you try it you can test that they behave differently.

On 15 September 2010 12:08, Fabien <fleutot+lua@gmail.com> wrote:
> The former is three nested calls; the latter is two calls of depth 1.

I think that the former is actually three subsequent calls. The call
stack should always be of depth 1. Am I wrong?

And in non interactive mode the second syntax gives an error to warn
users that the syntax is ambiguous. I believe this is the sanest way
to address the problem.

In interactive mode, short of delaying all function calls, the
behaviour by putting everything in a do ... end block:

Lua 5.1.4  Copyright (C) 1994-2008 Lua.org, PUC-Rio
> function f(x) print('f', x) return f end
> do
>> f(1)(f)(3)
>> end
f       1
f       function: 0x12963a0
f       3
> do
>> f(1)
>> (f)(3)
stdin:3: ambiguous syntax (function call x new statement) near '('

Regards,
mauro