Maybe I'm missing something. What's wrong with using a function for
the ternary use case?

local value = ternary(condition, value_if_true, value_if_false)

Most problems that would require additional syntax in other languages
can be solved using Lua's features in a way that the code stays
straight forward and elegant. For me the addition of a ternary
operator would mean I can replace the above code with

local value = condition ? value_if_true : value_if_false

which doesn't seem a valid reason to add to the core language.

Martin