There is nothing wrong with garbage collection in a compiled language. D does this particularly well. And I presume by _want to write a garbage collector_ you mean _want to ne able to manually control memory management_ which is something d allows rather elegantly in that the runtime is required to have the collector, but you can choose to use it or not.