2010/3/7 Mike Pall <mikelu-1003@mike.de>:
> This is the third beta release of LuaJIT 2.0.0.
>
> This release includes many fixes and performance enhancements,
> e.g. for recursive code and various I/O functions. This is also
> the first release which includes the x64 port of LuaJIT. Please
> check the changelog for more details.
>
> Here is a link to the home page:
>  http://luajit.org/luajit.html
>
> A direct link to the download page:
>  http://luajit.org/download.html
>
> And a link to the changelog:
>  http://luajit.org/changes.html
>
> What is LuaJIT?
> ---------------
>
> LuaJIT is a Just-In-Time (JIT) Compiler for Lua. It's fully
> compatible with standard Lua 5.1 and can significantly boost the
> performance of your Lua programs.
>
> LuaJIT is open source software, released under the MIT/X license.
> LuaJIT builds out-of-the-box on most x86 or x64 operating systems
> (Linux, Windows, OSX etc.).
>
> This is a BETA TEST release -- the current status and the list of
> known issues are shown here: http://luajit.org/status.html
> Please report any problems you may find with this release. Thank you!

I just tried that Beta, only to realize that this computer, which is
running with a Via C3 CPU, doesn't have SSE2, which is mandatory for
LuaJIT2 JIT. So I have a few questions.

Is it planned to add support for CPUs without SSE2 ?

In the meantime, should I expect better performance with LuaJIT 1.x or
the non-JIT LuaJIT2 VM ?

SSE2 being already 10 years old, do you plan to raise even higher the
LuaJIT requirements in the near future ? If I were to replace that
"old" C3 motherboard, and given that mini-itx motherboards support a
narrow range of CPUs, what should I look for to make sure LuaJIT will
run at optimal performance on these admittedly slow x86 CPU that don't
require extensive cooling ? Current choices are mostly Via C7 and
Intel Atom platforms, are these among your targets ?