On 13/02/2010, at 3:33 PM, steve donovan wrote:
> VPSes are rather heavyweight images.  I would think twice about
> deploying anything except a big server application as a virtual
> machine.

At the moment? Yes.

In the longer run? I'm not so sure:

http://clubtroppo.com.au/2008/07/10/shared-hosting-is-doomed-and-i-have-the-graphs-to-prove-it/

(That link may be down today as I am moving from a shared
host to a VPS ...)

> Another kind of self-contained universe is the
> file-system-within-an-archive, which has definitely been discussed
> here as an option for deploying big Lua applications.

That's an image-based deployment. And most unix-culture types
distrust that because it's not open to the standard tools.

Cheers,

JC.