On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 5:39 AM, Jacques Chester <jacques@chester.id.au> wrote:
> Bear in mind that Lisp is older than Unix, and that Smalltalk
> was around when Unix was not the "sure thing" it is today.

It is also (as far as user penetration) still the minority thing
(although Apple have helped enormously)

> With the rise of VPSes I think that self-contained universes
> could make a comeback.

VPSes are rather heavyweight images.  I would think twice about
deploying anything except a big server application as a virtual
machine.

Another kind of self-contained universe is the
file-system-within-an-archive, which has definitely been discussed
here as an option for deploying big Lua applications.

steve d.