On 12/02/2010, at 2:04 AM, Florian Weimer wrote:

> * Jacques Chester:
>
>> Smalltalk has something similar -- the IDE is, in a sense, the
>> program.
>>
>> The downside is that these self-contained universes make clean
>> deployment and versioning that much harder.
>
> Matz attributes much of the success of Ruby (compared to Smalltalk) to
> the decision to give up the image.  I find this a remarkable insight,
> and I think it's likely true.

Essentially Ruby embraced the Unix view that languages should
not be self-contained universes.

Bear in mind that Lisp is older than Unix, and that Smalltalk
was around when Unix was not the "sure thing" it is today.

With the rise of VPSes I think that self-contained universes
could make a comeback.

Cheers,

JC.