Antonio Scuri wrote:
Visual C++ Express edition is a free fully featured IDE.

Last time I looked (2005) the free edition forced the usage of manifests [*]; I was never able to extricate myself from the bureaucracy and build a portable executable. ([*] Actually there was a hairy hack to link VC free with msvcrt, implying some hundred MB of extra stuff and hand-changing of many project settings)

Probably because of my clumsiness (and allergy to most Microsoft tools) I've never been able to compile Lua additional libraries with the free VC, especially not with the provided makefiles, so I had to resort to recompiling the world (Lua + all the libs I needed) with mingw32. (I never understood manifests too, despite much reading... I was very glad to having to work mostly on embedded targets)

I'd be very happy to see a free, standard way to compile Lua and libraries to produce portable executables/DLLs on Windows.

  Enrico