On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 6:51 PM, Enrico Colombini <erix@erix.it> wrote:
> Last time I looked (2005) the free edition forced the usage of manifests
> [*]; I was never able to extricate myself from the bureaucracy and build a
> portable executable.

Yes, such unnecessary headaches. I could understand the problem they
were trying to solve, but MS has never been good at straightforward
solutions. And I was actually very happy with MSVC 6 ;)

VC2005 is the current LfW, LuaBinaries standard. I recently had great
difficulty in tracking down the compiler, so vs 80 runtime is starting
to get untenable.

> I'd be very happy to see a free, standard way to compile Lua and libraries
> to produce portable executables/DLLs on Windows.

There are unofficial GCC 4.4 versions for Windows:

http://www.tdragon.net/recentgcc/

Really cool, a single 26 meg download with everything, rather than
that crappy mingw installer.

As for tools, I'm more than happy with SciTE plus GDB extensions (the
SciTE in LfW can actually debug C/C++ as well, in fact)

steve d.