> MSVC runtime usage for other Windows scripting solutions...
>
>   Python 2.6 uses msvcr90.dll
>   Strawberry Perl 5.10 uses msvcrt.dll
>   Lua 5.1 (for windows) uses msvc80.dll
>
> If perl can use msvcrt.dll why shouldn't Lua?

  Well If Python uses msvcr90.dll why shouldn't Lua? :)

  BTW I guess that Python has a much more interesting distribution package
than Perl.

> One argument that Lua, as an extension language, should be directly
> linkable to existing software.

  But what existing software use as RTL? This is not easily answered.

> Another argument that Lua, as a standalone system, should use simplest
> runtime environment with least dependencies.

  Agree, don't get me wrong I would love to use MSVCRT.DLL but I still think
that there are more cons than pros.