MSVC runtime usage for other Windows scripting solutions...

  Python 2.6 uses msvcr90.dll
  Strawberry Perl 5.10 uses msvcrt.dll
  Lua 5.1 (for windows) uses msvc80.dll

If perl can use msvcrt.dll why shouldn't Lua?

One argument that Lua, as an extension language, should be directly
linkable to existing software.
Another argument that Lua, as a standalone system, should use simplest
runtime environment with least dependencies.

Andrew