On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 3:40 PM, Asko Kauppi <askok@dnainternet.net> wrote:
> One thing that would be so nice to have is optional typing. I think Python 3
> has that (correct if I'm wrong).

It seems to be done through decorators, and it looks like an
assertion-at-runtime kind of thing.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1275646/python-3-and-static-typing

> And C# has something similar, coming from the other direction.

Yes, 'var ls = new List<MyDamnLongType>()', wrist-saving
type-inference. Still considered spawn of the devil in the Java world.

Metalua has an extension which does something like the Python example.

Though, would Lua be Lua if it had static typing, in the sense of
something that could be checked at compile time?

steve d.