Well, all the machines have Python 2.6 and 3.0 installed on them while none have Lua (although hopefully the first 3 rows of Al-K will have LfW installed after I ask IT to do it), but I can name several student games that use Lua, and not one that uses Python. I suppose it's probably the generational gap. ;)

Also, Chris Peters (a former student, not sure if he's after your time) is a GAM professor here now (one of a trio of Microsoft employees who quit their jobs to work here full-time), and he's big into Lua, has PiL in his office, is from what I heard writing something fancy using it, and has mentioned things about it when giving talks about architecture (such as how the hash lookup will never be your bottleneck), so it's got at least one faculty member pulling for it.

From: "Steven Johnson" <steve@xibalbastudios.com>
Sent: Saturday, October 10, 2009 A2:46
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.lang.lua.general
To: "Lua list" <lua@bazar2.conectiva.com.br>
Subject: Re: DigiPen Lua Club

I go to DigiPen (http://www.digipen.edu), a school of video game programming
and design. Since Lua is the most used programming language (other than
C/C++) in the games industry, this is a prime topic for a club (since nearly all of the students have little to no knowledge of Lua, despite some student
teams using it in their game projects).

So I recently started a Lua Club at Digipen (first official meeting next
Monday). I haven't mapped out a schedule/agenda for the class (in a test
run, only one guy showed up and me and a friend pretty much just explained the ins and outs of Lua to him over a couple of hours), but I have ordered Lua Programming Gems (which is still on its way- I already have hard copies
of Programming in Lua 2nd Edition and the Reference Manual) and created a
poster (sources attached).

My associate and I are both alumni. At GDC Austin a few weeks back we spoke with Gordon, from the school's office, and one of my questions to him was how various non-C/C++ languages were faring there, Lua in particular. He suggested that Python seems to be getting popular, with some teachers behind it, and Lua
has sort of receded, but his remarks were very off-the-cuff and he
didn't seem so
sure. Does that sound at all like the reality? (I imagine it's hard to
tell much beyond
your own circle, but I'm still curious.)

Mexico seems to be as Steve describes South Africa elsewhere in this thread,
without a lot of Lua presence. And in our case, we hired the other guy. :P

I did however make an incredibly lame attempt to shed some light:

A long time ago, my above-mentioned associate went to a university in Morelia to
give a talk; I got to tag along for free, on the condition that I gave
one too. I figured
something Lua-based would be a good choice, since it would be new to a lot of
the audience and I had a lot of momentum going right then building up
a framework
on top of it.

This was on a week's notice, during which time I basically threw
together a poor man's
version of Löve2D / Scrupp / et al.; then slapped a side-scroller on
top of it, featuring
a knife-armed bandit fighting floating cartoon octopi; and then, on
all of four minutes
of sleep, presented this to a bewildered student body while explaining
Lua 5.0 and
how I put it to use to make what they were seeing.

This is probably not how you should conduct Lua Club, but it was fun
all the same. :)