Yes, I am familiar with the problems of chinese transliteration, although I don't speak chinese. Japanese is my thing ^^

I guess you could call it the least-common-denominator or something. Not that I want to force them into something that for them is very inconvenient. With 1330 million cizitens, I guess programming with hanji names wouldn't be too bad, but I am still worried about "accessibility" and "shareability".

As I said, keep it as simple as possible. If UTF-8 becomes valid for names, how are those who don't speak chinese going to use the code? How about rules for what is valid and what is not? Will there be a auxiliary program that can easily convert from hanji to latin characters? What about readability?

Even though I'm Finnish (with Swedish mothertongue, but also fluent in Finnish) I have *never* used neither Finnish nor Swedish identifiers. Even back in primary school when I first started with my 386 and qbasic, it was always English. In my oppinion, the first and foremost important aspect of programming is sharing.

Sure, if it's closed source I couldn't care less.

However, if you allow UTF-8 you need to be prepared to deal with all the problems it is going to present. If you do so, then great, it might not be a total failure after all. HOWEVER, if you go into this half-arsedly, without proper understanding of the scale of such a project, it is only going to cause more trouble than solve anything.

Kenneth

David Given wrote:
Kenneth Forsbäck wrote:
If these would-be programmers are so young they have problems using Latin/ASCII, then they shouldn't be learning Lua, or any other programming language for that matter.

You're assuming that they speak a language with an easily latinised form. That's not necessarily the case. You look like you're Finnish --- Finnish uses accented characters, but you can easily force it into ASCII and produce comprehensible approximations of Finnish words that you can use in identifiers.

But the same doesn't apply to Chinese, for example. Chinese latinisations are notoriously horrible; there are several conflicting versions (did you know that Beijing and Peking are *the same word*?).

And besides, why should they have to? Why shouldn't they use their native language to write their code in? Why force them to use an alien alphabet just so that they can use Lua? Why make them do things *our* way, when such a tiny change would let them do things *their* way, in the way they find most comfortable?