If these would-be programmers are so young they have problems using Latin/ASCII, then they shouldn't be learning Lua, or any other programming language for that matter.

I strongly doubt this is of any serious concern. Possible useful for someone, but I would strongly recommend AGAINST it.

To me there are exactly 63 literal characters (damn it, I need one more!), 26 lowercase, 26 uppercase, 10 numbers, underscore (and I want one more, damn it!). Preferrably no dinstinction between case.

If you cannot program using these 63 (64 *sigh*) characters (not including operators or other special characters), either your mind, or the programming language you are using is broken. Period.

Simple, clean, regular, strict.

No trouble, no confusion, no fuss, no shit, no nothing.

Using UTF in strings or comments is ok (although preferrably comments should be in english to be more accessible), but if UTF is allowed in names, you could just as well let lose the demons of hell, a big sign on your arse that says, "free entry for demons" ^~^

No offence, but I think this is pretty pointless.

-- Einstein

This is akin to the GOTO problem. If you can't deal with/don't want the trouble associated with GOTO, don't include it in your language. Simply put, don't paint the devil on the wall.

Only my personal opinion.

Kenneth