Bogdan Marinescu wrote:
I know it has to be 8-byte aligned on ARM9, but at least a thread in the lpc2000 group suggests that in practice this seems to be needed by gcc on ARM7 as well, at least in some cases.

EABI absolutely decrees 8-byte stack alignment, and if you don't have it your app will break. For example, passing 64-bit values through varargs will do really weird things.

I'm not sure about the other ARM ABIs but EABI is the most common these days.

(I've just encountered this problem in real production code, and had to manually fix the stack alignment before our app would work. Non-Lua-related, though.)

│
│ "They laughed at Newton. They laughed at Einstein. Of course, they
│ also laughed at Bozo the Clown." --- Carl Sagan