Probably:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thundering_herd_problem

or, more accurately:
http://www.kegel.com/c10k.html

Sure, I've read those; But I'm afraid I don't know quite what you mean. I am wondering if there are any specific limitations of lua related to handling massive numbers of concurrent socket connections.

My primary interest is in massively concurrent, massively scalable application development in the 'cloud environment' (EC2 specifically, for now).

Is lua a suitable language for this target domain?

Depends. Any programming language is suitable, given the correct circumstances. And what application? Developer needs? Business needs? Say if you want to run rendering via photon-tracing in a cloud, obviously for performance you'd go for a language that executes in native code at some level. Or you want development speed. And so on, and so forth, yada yada yada... We can have a 1000-post thread and there will be no clear position. I can sell you A and then switch and sell you B and both positions would be strong. What matters more is your analysis given your specifications. Is this for business or for a dissertation?

Okay, good point; I'm talking about commercial 'web application' and 'web service' development... think 'social networking', 'chat', etc.

Thanks,
Phoenix Sol