Looking into libev integration, I found this:

"""
[Kepler-Project] libev + lua
gary ng
Wed Oct 22 03:05:56 GMT+2 2008

There is one floating around and I have also done that myself. Though my not so scientific test seems to suggest that the good old select() isn't that much worse unless we are talking about 1000+ connections and that may not be the target platform for lua(memory etc.)
"""

Can someone please explain this sentiment? What is he talking about? (Gary, are you in here?)

Memory fragmentation?  What is the 'etc.'? Stability problems or something?

My primary interest is in massively concurrent, massively scalable application development in the 'cloud environment' (EC2 specifically, for now).

Is lua a suitable language for this target domain?

Thanks,
Phoenix Sol