Alright, thanks Mark :)

I'll try to stop bugging you guys for a while; I'm totally sold on learning lua ;-)

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 10:04 AM, Mark Hamburg <mark@grubmah.com> wrote:
The communication channel is limited in what it can pass, but you might want to read the paper on LuaProc:

Exploring Lua for Concurrent Programming

LuaForge release at:

LuaForge: luaproc: Project Info

That said, it's fairly straightforward to implement this sort of support using Lua coroutines. The chief issue that comes into play in an implementation is that if you want to allow other uses of coroutines beyond yielding back to the scheduler, you need to patch the implementation of yield and resume so that they recognize when a yield needs to work its way back to the scheduler and when they just represent a localized coroutine interaction. I don't know whether there are any publicly available sources that demonstrate that. The basic idea is to extend yield by passing a target as the first item and have resume look at the results and continue yielding if it wasn't meant to receive the value (and then pass the resumption from that yield back down).

Mark