On Wednesday 03, Alexander Gladysh wrote:
> > Alchemy uses LLVM to compile C/C++ to ActionScript.  I didn't know that
> > there was a lua-llvm that might help compile to fash bytecode.  I'd
> > considered that as a path for other languages after seeing what PyPy is
> > doing (there a pypy sub-project that compiles python to Flash and the
> > pypy toolchain uses LLVM too).
>
> My apologies, the project is called llvm-lua and is located here:
>
>     http://code.google.com/p/llvm-lua/
>
> It is fairly recent though, so, I guess it would take some time to
> mature (but I have not looked closely).
>
> Alexander.

llvm-lua supports all the features of standard Lua VM.  If something is broken
or missing let me know and I will fix it.

If Alchemy can take LLVM-IR(bitcode or .ll files) directly then it would be
possible to static compile Lua scripts + Lua VM core into standalone LLVM
bitcode file using llmv-lua and then compile that into ActionScript.  This
would help improve the performance of the Lua scripts.

llvm-lua is not just a JIT it can static compile Lua script into a standalone
binary that doesn't include the large LLVM libraries.

--
Robert G. Jakabosky