I agree with much of what has been said here, but:

Asko wrote:
p.s. One thing I'd like from Lua itself, is inclusion of a tolua-type interface in the language pack itself.

IMO, even this is too much for the standard Lua package. The means of generating Lua bindings for libraries vary significantly depending on the libraries. Factors include the library's target language (C or C++), API style (e.g. OO or not), and conventions with regard to memory allocation and object ownership. I believe it's best for the Lua team to defer to third-party packages for automated generation of Lua bindings, as they have done thus far.

Matt