Tim Maxwell wrote:
Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:

I started writing one such tool but never finished because it was too
complicated to cater for all needs.

What needs did you see? It seems to me that number format conversion
is the main issue.

See this thead: http://lua-users.org/lists/lua-l/2005-06/msg00019.html

I'm considering writing a cross-compiler according to the requirements outlined in http://lua-users.org/lists/lua-l/2005-06/msg00048.html. It wouldn't be a drop-in replacement for ldump.c, because it would need to take an extra parameter for the cross-compilation info. Probably a "lua_DumpFormat *"...

http://lua-users.org/lists/lua-l/2005-06/msg00083.html mentions that ChunkSpy can do some chunk rewriting. In light of this, is there still any use for a cross-compiler?

I think there might be, if only for someone to test 'the market' of developers for such an application.

ChunkSpy is not suitable to be a serious app; it's more of an educational or academic toy that is meant as a stepping stone to writing more useful programs. I banged it out on the keyboard in a haphazard manner and I can't provide support so it's presented 'as is'. ChunkSpy also uses some hairy number conversion routines that requires numbers to be doubles and which I don't fully trust.

A cross-compiler on the other hand can be a more focused and smaller program, which would make it easier to support or maintain or test or validate.

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)