> You can see that it doesn't check for the endianness of lua_Number.
> Perhaps the next Lua release that breaks binary compatibility in
> compiled files should also include some sort of check for the
> endianness of lua_Number.

Any suggestions?

In the past, the header contained a sample lua_Number that was meant for
testing this. However, it turned out that different compilers created
different bit patterns (usually the difference was in the last bit).
So, it was not robust.

> Maybe there needs to be a tool to convert compiled Lua files between
> different platforms.

I started writing one such tool but never finished because it was too
complicated to cater for all needs.